Wednesday, February 5, 2014

What I Will Bring

Over the past month I have been getting items together for the trip. I got the requisite shots (yellow fever, typhoid, hep A, polio, etc), prescriptions for an anti-malarial, anti-biotic and picked up a bunch of over-the-counter meds (pepto, imodium, tums, sudafed, ibuprofen, etc), and hopefully found some clothes that will be conservative enough for Ethiopian Orthodox culture but not be too hot (we'll see). Also included in my bags: mosquito net, bug spray, sunscreen, and toilet paper).

In addition to my personal items, I am also carrying a number of items that have been donated to the traveling teachers to bring to Awassa. I have a number of gorgeous books that Elaine Pentaleri arranged with Flying Pig Books as donations for the schools we will be working with. The books were specially selected to be relevant for the students in Awassa. You can find plenty of donation horror stories online (Harlequin romance novels for school children, seriously) and we did not want to perpetuate that ridiculousness.
A selection from the beautiful books we are bringing with us to Awassa.
I am also bringing several pairs of shoes with me, donated by the Outdoor Gear Exchange consignment department. These shoes will go to Action for Youth and Community Change, who have a system for making sure donated items are distributed to those most in need.
The donated shoes.
Based on conversations I have had with my teaching partner, Genet, I am also bringing books that I have found useful in my own teaching practice to share with her and Bishan Guracha Primary School. Most of the books are about formative assessment and English instruction to second language learners. I hope these resources are useful to her and her colleagues, I will share more as these conversations unfold during my visit.

Only two more days!

No comments:

Post a Comment