Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Second Visit to Bishan Guracha School

Today I went to Bishan Guracha school and met with my teaching partner, Genet. She shared a wonderful plan for my time over the next two weeks. I also met the school principal and was re-introduced to the assistant principal and teachers of science, civics, English, Oromo, and math. I went to each of the classes in session and was welcomed by the students and introduced myself. The faculty and students were once again kind and generous in their welcome.

I am looking forward to the plan that Genet has proposed, as I will get to experience a number of classrooms and interact with students. Next week I will even have the opportunity to teach an English lesson.

The Plan:
  • Observation of the teaching and learning process in Genet's classroom and those of her colleagues
  • Observation of student group discussions
  • Observation of continuous assessment
  • Arrangement of the class
  • Activities of students in different clubs (departments)
  • Student engagement in culture (clothing, food, language, etc)
  • Meeting with the teachers
  • Teaching an English class
  • Sharing a video created by my fellow Vermont teacher traveler Elaine Pentalari.
I have two additional items for my time at Bichan Guracha:
  •  Share photos of the Walden Project and explain the program to the teachers
  • Generate ideas through observation and participation about school culture and teaching practices I can bring back to the U.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment