Monday, February 3, 2014

Vermont to Ethiopia: a teacher exchange



Ever since I was a little girl, I have dreamed of going to the horn of Africa. I can't explain exactly why I have this dream or where it came from: perhaps it was bedtime stories of adventures that instilled a desire and love of travel or maybe the beautiful photographs of people, places, and animals in National Geographic that we got every month. Wherever this dream came from, I am able to realize it in one week. I am part of a group of five teachers from northern Addison County, Vermont, USA who are headed to Awassa, Ethiopia as part of a teaching and cultural exchange.

Awassa is in south-central Ethiopia. Image from: Waterman

This blog will be one way I document the experience and share my travels. We are working with two wonderful non-profits, the Willowell Foundation in Monkton, Vermont and Action for Youth and Community Change in Awassa, Ethiopia. I am partnered with Ms. Genet Gebregiorgis at Bishan Guracha Primary School, a social studies and geography teacher for grades 5-9. I am excited for my journey and looking forward to learning about education in Ethiopia and reflecting on my own practice as an educator.

No comments:

Post a Comment