Monday, February 10, 2014

In Awassa

We have arrived in Ethiopia after 36 hours of traveling (leave Ferrisburgh at 3:30, fly from Burlington to New York to Dubai to Addis Ababa then drive 4 hours to Awassa). I have so much to share but I am having some serious technology issues, so many of my detailed posts with pictures might have to be put up after I return in 10 days. We were met at the airport by Kidist, the director of AYCC. She is wonderful and is doing amazing work with AYCC and creating amazing opporunities for youth in Awassa. Dag, the financial officer of AYCC has also helped us navigate our first couple of days in Ethiopia.

Today we went to two schools, Neget Kocheb and Bichan Guracha. These are both elementary/middle schools and while the resources available to students and teachers are scarce, the teachers are enthusiastic, welcoming, and dedicated to their vocation. We were greeted with tremendous warmth and I am excited for the next two weeks. The students were curious about the "ferengi" or foreigners in Amharic and loved to greet us and introduce themselves to us.

I will write more when I can

No comments:

Post a Comment